The objective of this discussion post to expose you to groups and social processes. You will need to apply knowledge from your readings.
1. In this discussion post, you will listen to the following podcast and Ted Talks. These assigned materials also have transcriptions for those with hearing or language acquistion needs.
A. Assigned Material 1: This American Life: Not So Simple Majority:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/534/a-not-so-simple-majority (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
B. Assigned Material 2: Ted Talk: My Road Trip Through the Whitest Towns in America
https://www.ted.com/talks/rich_benjamin_my_road_trip_through_the_whitest_towns_in_america?language=en (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
C. Assigned Material 3: Ted Talk: Why Gender Equality is Good for Everyone, Men Included
https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_kimmel_why_gender_equality_is_good_for_everyone_men_included?language=en (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
2. After listening to the assigned materials answer the following questions in discussion post. The post should have a minimum of 500 to 700 words.
1. Provide a brief summary of each assigned material.
2. Who were all the different groups represented in all of the three assigned materials?
3. What type of social process would you consider happening between all the groups discussed and why?
4. In the podcast, This American Life: The Not So Simple Majority, what factors led to one group affecting the other? What were each groups concerns?
5. In the podcast, This American Life: The Not So Simple Majority, Discuss whether primary or secondary groups were represented. Be sure to provide specifics of each group and discuss why it was either a primary or a secondary group to confirm your analysis.
6. In the podcast, This American Life: The Not So Simple Majority, how would you recommend that their issues be resolved?
7. In the Ted Talk: My Road Trip Through the Whitest Towns in America, what are the down sides to a group segrating themselves from others?
8. In the Ted Talk: Why Gender Equality is Good for Everyone, Men Included, why are the men so angry and why is this harmful to society?
3. Respond to two peers after answering 1 through 8. The responses should be at least 50 words each.